A favicon is a great way to brand your website’s image. The word favicon is short for “favorite icon.” Your visitor’s browser will pick up your favicon and display it in his address bar, and if he bookmarks your site (awesome!), your favicon will appear there, too. You want to have a favicon that is memorable, even though it’s tiny (usually 16×16 pixels).
Here are some very memorable favicons I’m sure you’ve seen:
It’s very easy to make a new favicon when you’re using WordPress and Genesis. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Make an image.
- 16x16px is the standard size, but whatever you do, it needs to be square.
- A transparent background looks nice.
- Save it as a .png or .gif file.
- Go to http://www.faviconer.com/icon/import and upload your image.
- Once it has uploaded and you’ve had a chance to look at it, you can then download it to your computer.
- When you save it to your computer, make sure your file name is favicon.ico.
- Install the Genesis Favicon Uploader plugin to your WordPress site.
- This plugin is very simple and quick to use.
- Once you’ve installed it, you’ll see “upload favicon” under the Genesis tab on your dashboard.
- Time to upload your favicon!
- This is easy. Simply browse to where you savedfavicon.ico on your computer, then click “upload.”
- All done!
- (You might need to refresh your browser or clear your cache before you can see it.)